We understand that steel buildings are inexpensive and easy to build, but when it comes to the non-insulated steel building, we have our work cut out for us! Most of these buildings are used for such things as auto repair shops, machine shops and cover for inventory. The environment of what is in the building should be evaluated…
- Will there be items in there that will mold or rust?
- Will this be a dirty/dust work area?
- Will there be full time employees working in this building?
- Will there be large bay doors closing and opening?
- Does this building have high ceilings?
We suggest adding insulation if you plan on having air conditioning in the steel building. There is a Cool Roof Rating Council and the Cool Metal Roofing Coalition (CMRC). CMRC educates building owners, architects and others about the energy benefits of metal roofs. The roof is what is exposed to the brunt of the heat, so it is the roof that can make a difference in whether
or not to have an air conditioning system and it is the roof that also determines how hard that system has to work.